Tiny Star

April 29, 2021

Happy LATE Earth Day 2021!

Hai, jammers!

Happy 1-Week Late Earth Day!

To commemorate the gorgeous holiday, here's the post that was meant to be posted on REAL Earth Day.. heh heh. 

Unfortunately things happen, but I'm glad I got some time to work on this post today C:

I started working on an edit for Earth Day a couple of days ago, and I finally finished it today! The quality isn't great for some reason, so my apologies for that! (And Wild, I just saw your latest post as I was writing this one, and I didn't know you made an animal edit for Earth Day as well!)

I named this edit "Iris" which translates to "rainbow" in (Ancient! Thank you, Vai!) Greek. I thought it'd be a cute Earth/environmental name :) 

Here is the edit:


This wasn't an edit based on anyone, just my ✨imagination✨

If it looks a little rushed, it's because it is xD I didn't have time to work on a lot of the specific lines like I usually do, but I think the finished product doesn't look too bad.. I actually referenced the colors from the Earth picture in Doomy's last post!


Now, onto 5 Ways YOU Can Take Care of the Earth!

1. Conserve water - Wasting water is one of the biggest ways individuals impact the planet. Examples of conserving water are: turning off the faucet when you brush your teeth, turning off the sink while you wash dishes, trying to do full-loads of laundry and dishes (instead of half loads), etc. All of these and more are great ideas for conserving water!

2. Use as little chemicals as possible - All of the chemicals we use to clean, wash our and houses and vehicles with, eventually gets washed down the drain, absorbed into the grass, and into our water supply. Chemicals can do real damage to not only our environment, but to the animals and wildlife in the area. Instead of using things like pesticides and weed killers, try finding a different solution to pulling up weeds and pests. Learn about alternatives to everyday house cleaners, and you can even try to make your own! 

3. Reduce your usage of plastic - Plastic is one of the greatest environmental issues, and although it does get talked about a lot, I don't think many people actually realize the impact it makes on the planet. And it's not necessarily the material itself. It's the way people handle it. A study shows that only 9% of the items that we recycle actually end up getting recycled. That's simply.. unbelievable. To fix this, let's start trying to use recyclable, alternatives to plastic like the following: stainless steel, glass, cardboard, etc. 

4. Drive and fly less often - Almost all vehicles run on gasoline, a very harmful chemical and air polluter. If you're headed out somewhere, think how far it is. Is it worth a vehicle transporting you? Or could you walk or bike there? If it is far, is there an alternative? Walking and biking are not only great for the environment, but they're great exercise too!

5. Compost/plant trees - I grouped composting and planting trees/flowers in the same category, because they're pretty similar to each other! 

- Composting is when you place your leftover food scraps into a bin or pile, and after tending to it for a few weeks, you're left with rich soil, perfect for gardens and spreading across your lawn! 

- Planting trees is another great way to help the environment! Trees protect land from getting eroded, and they're an essential part of the ecosystem. Planting trees has many other benefits as well, like protecting water and air. So, if you have any room in your yard, research some trees native to your area and consider planting some!

I hope y'all had a good Earth Day! Make sure you try to do at least one of these things a couple of times a year C: I recommend composting; it's such a great way to get rid of food waste, without just throwing it away. (It's also pretty cool to see the food transform into soil XP) 

That's all for this post!

Toodles!

16 comments:

  1. *deep breath*
    I think it WOULD be the proper time to share a bit...

    Iris is an awesome edit!! You should make her yone of your member OC's!

    1. Rainbow is Iris (Ιριδα) in ANCIENT greek. The new name for it is Ουρανιο Τοξο!
    2. You might as well find out that I'm from Greece- I'm also half Danish. I'm not sharing which place, that'll have to wait until I'm older :)

    Awesome tips! I'm doing an Earth Week series :D I was thinking about doing one before I saw Doomy's post heh xD

    Hugs,
    vai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vai!!

      Ooh, thank you for that! I'm not too familiar with Greek.. though I know some of the language :) Hmm let me see if I remember something: γεια! That means hi, right?

      That's really cool! I'm a bit Irish, but it's not like they have their own language xD

      I'll have to check that out!

      ~popcorn

      Delete
    2. Right! Eisai kala? What does that mean, ya think? :)

      I looove Ireland!!! So cute :3

      Delete
    3. Hmm.. I think it means "how are you?" or "what are you doing?".. GAH I forget xd

      Me too! I may be going on a trip there soon, so I might make a post with some pictures I take C:

      ~popcorn

      Delete
    4. Yup, it means "how are you"!

      Ooooh I wanna see :D

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this is so cool! There's a book at my house (it's a picture book) and it has a big title, but it's called "Human Footprint: Everything You Will Eat, Use, Wear, Buy, and Throw Out in Your Lifetime."

    It has some giant numbers in there. Thousands. It freaks me out, too. It says you will eat 10 shopping carts filled with candy bars in your whole lifetime. AaAaAaAaA!

    I'm glad the blogging community is spreading awareness of this! Unfortunately, I didn't have any time to actually spread any info about this uwu

    ~Dogo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also having a lot of trouble with my graphic because I wanted to do either the duck or the woodpecker from the spring festival, but it's too small and Pixlr Art won't cooperate :T I don't know what to do...

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Dogo! That sounds like an interesting book! I think I've heard something like that before.. so disturbing, yet unfortunately true.

      Haha, that's ok, as long as you at least acknowledge it, you're still spreading the word c:

      Hmm.. I'll see what happens if I try it and get back to you. Maybe try going to online-image-editor.com and resizing it?

      ~popcorn

      Delete
  3. I love the edit of Iris! I especially love the beautiful colors used - that shade of green and that shade of blue goes so well together.

    This post is also really informative. Thanks for writing it! We have a compost bin, where we put our napkins and seeds and whatnot. It's nice because I know that all the things we were going to throw away are going to help new things grow.

    Also, something I find funny is that even though we never coordinated it, Vai, you, and I all released late Earth day posts on Wednesday XD great minds think alike! :D

    ~Wild

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Wild!

      That's really cool! I agree with you, the whole concept of the process is so cool C:

      Hahaa, I didn't even realize that! That's a nice observation xD

      ~popcorn

      Delete
  4. That's a cute edit! And thanks for the info about protecting the Earth <3

    If anyone's interested in some eco-friendly alternatives to common cleaning products, baking soda is an easy way to go. Also– soap nuts! It's an actual dried berry that has natural soap (saponins) in it. No kidding. You can use it to easily make your own cleaners or detergent C:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you! <3

      I think I've heard about that! There's something that you can use with vinegar as well, right? May have do some additional research.. but thank you for those tips!

      ~popcorn C:

      Delete
  5. Hey Popcorn!

    I just uploaded 2 graphics I made for your contest on my blog, before the end of my newest post! :D
    Happy May!

    Hugs,
    vai, who is excited for her birthday in 5 DAYS??!!!
    (The 6th)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got them! Thanks for entering C:

      ~popcorn

      Delete
  6. Hi, Popcorn!!
    I'm planning to do a big age reveal when it's my birthday (the 6th :O :O :O). So I hope you'll check out that post when its out xD I dont think you remember my age, so you'll have to see xD
    Also, will you still be my friend no matter what age I have? xD

    Hugs,
    vai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hai, Vai!

      :O Ooh, I can't wait!! I think I know your grade, but not your age C:

      Of course I'll still be your friend!! Age is not really important to me (unless your over 40, that's just sick)

      ~popcorn c:

      Delete

Hi jammers! Welcome to the comment section ^.^

Before you do comment, though, please read and accept the following rules :) Thank you!

-NO CURSING. (This includes using symbols like stars *** and letters) If you wouldn't say it to your parents, don't say it here ^.^
-DON'T SPAM. (Things like "aushfhsd" or "hey everyone buddy me I'm ... " Of course I would love to buddy you! But it would be nice if you mention something about the post as well :)
-KEEP LANGUAGE APPROPRIATE. Animal Jam is a kid-friendly game, so that means this blog is too. Try and keep your language appropriate and understandable uwu
-NO LINKS. Unless it's Animal Jam related (The Daily Explorer, your own AJ blog, etc.), no links to extra websites, blogs, videos, etc. Adding links will result in your comment being immediately removed.
-NO SELF PROMO PLEASE! I love each and everyone of your posts/updates on your blog, but it's not a very good feeling when you just finished an hour long post that gets one comment saying "hey look at my new post I just now finished it" or something like that! Just something to consider :)
- NO PERSONAL INFO. For your safety, please don't comment anything about your address, credit card information, name/age (optional, but not recommended), etc. If I see any of these in a comment, your comment will be removed immediately.
-NO BULLYING/RUDE BEHAVIOR. I hope people follow this rule in general, but in case you need a reminder there it is :P

Please try and follow these rules, as if they are ignored I may have to start moderating the comments :(

Each and every one of your comments will be appreciated, so thanks for commenting!

~popcorn CX